Since we’re all staying home a little bit more than we’re used to lately because of COVID-19, it’s a great opportunity to tackle overlooked spring cleaning spots around your house. We’re not talking about your weekend clean, we mean deep clean, the kind where you move things out the way, get under stuff, and really get a satisfying sparkle at the end.
If you’re looking to sell your home in Ottawa or Kanata soon, getting some really, deep spring cleaning done in your home could actually increase the value. According to a 2019 HomeLight Survey, de-cluttering and deep cleaning your home can add up to $4000 in resale value on average. This means that taking care of all those overlooked spring cleaning spots can actually make you a little bit of money!
Need a little something to help you keep track of your cleaning? We created a checklist that you can fill out for your cleaning needs. Download and print it here:
Here are some overlooked spring cleaning spots you might forget about…
Front Entrance/Mud Room
- Clean scuffs from walls in these high traffic areas and touch up spots with extra paint if you still have it.
- Clear out and completely wipe off/dust mud room shelves.
- Vacuum corners where dust can hide – near the door, in tight corners, in the ceiling corners where cob webs might form.
- Organize any front hall closets and put away seasonal footwear/coats/accessories.
- Remove any mats and give them a deep clean with a scrub brush and soapy water to get all the salt out, let dry in the sun.
- Deep clean under and behind any sitting furniture – move it out of the way and annihilate those dust bunnies!
- Clear off shelves or display areas and wipe off any sitting dust.
- Wash any textiles – curtains,pillow cases, throw blankets, pillows, etc.
- Dust off and wipe down things like lamps, light fixtures, and baseboards that don’t often get cleaned.
- Windex your windows inside and out (if you’re able to).
- Pull out appliances such as stoves, microwaves, fridges, and dishwashers if you can, and clean behind them with a vacuum and mop (this may require help from a friend or family member!)
- Do a cleaning cycle for your dishwasher – this is an easy way to do it with plain vinegar.
- Clear out your cabinets and give them a good wipe down before placing items back.
- Clean your oven – if your model is self cleaning, you’re in luck! This step should be a breeze.
- Take everything out of your fridge and clean off the shelves well – if you have a baking soda deodorizer, replace it.
- Run a diluted mixture of water and vinegar through your coffee maker to clean it from the inside.
- Scrub out showers, bathtubs, and sinks – baking soda is a readily available, effective alternative you probably already have if you can’t leave your house.
- Clean in and around your toilet – don’t forget to get the area behind it that can often collect some crud.
- Clear out any cabinets and under your vanity – give them a good clean then re-organize your items.
- Wash your shower curtains and bath mats – most shower curtains and mats are machine washable. Replace if needed.
- Clean grout lines in your shower – spraying bleach and letting it sit is a very easy way to do this!
- Wash your major textile items like duvets, comforters and pillows – most machines can handle these and you can dry pillows effectively in the sun.
- Rotate or flip mattresses – use this as an opportunity to clean under the bed and get any dust bunnies.
- Wipe down light fixtures/ceiling fans/shelves and other sparsely touched areas.
- Swap out seasonal items in your closet and tuck away whatever you won’t need for spring and summer.
- Put your washing machine through a cleaning cycle – this is a great and easy way to do it that only requires vinegar and baking soda!
- Clean any rugs in your house – this is an easy method that will work for most rugs.
- Dust/vacuum any blinds and machine wash curtains if you are able to.
- Use a magic eraser on any scuffs on walls around your house.
- Wipe down doors – especially frequently used ones; they’re often dirtier than we notice!
Self-isolation is a fantastic time to be productive around the house!
Before you consider selling your house in Ottawa or Kanata, use your isolation time wisely and clean up the overlooked spring cleaning spots we all have in our homes!
Happy cleaning, Ottawa!
Done with deep cleaning your home and have questions about selling? We’d love to answer them. Get in touch to get the ball rolling!